Saturday, May 11, 2013

Review: When Boats Breathe and Cities Speak by Kevin McGill

When Boats Breathe and Cities Speak (Nikolas and Company, #2)
Title: When Boats Breathe and Cities Speak
Author: Kevin McGill
Release Date: 4th August 2012 
Publisher: Aero Studios
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads

Quick Review: Nick and friends find themselves on a journey to the magical moon, Mon, and the great city of Huron. Called by the voice of Huron to stop the Merfolk’s advancement of evil, Nick’s first task is to alert the city council of Huron. Expecting his job to be an easy one, he quickly finds himself stopped by the wicked sheriff of Huron, Cyrus Gorringe. Meanwhile, Yeri finally delivers Lir, the merman’s message to Nikolas, but is his task complete?


Detailed Review: I have to say that this book is just awesome. It's just too good. I really have doubts if the author is a human being at all. Maybe he's a being from Moon that's migrated to the Earth. You'll never know right?

There were many good things about this book but one bad thing about this book.

The good things:

The characters were as funny as usual, especially Daniel and Xanthus. The story is just better than the first book. Everything was just down-to-earth flawless.

The bad thing:

THE AHC AT THE END. No thanks to the author. I just hate cliffhangers. It makes me want to die. But that means I wouldn't be able to know what happens next if I'm dead.

Here's the story:

Nick has travelled to Mon, where he is burdened by the job to be the steward of the city of Huron at the age of only eleven. Nobody believes him. He claims that Huron speaks to him of the Merrow's danger to her but still people remain ignorant. Now the sheriff, Cyrus Gorringe has taken charge.

Meanwhile, Yeri has managed to deliver the message to Nick but he is stopped by one of the Merrows when he finds out that Nick is against them. Fouls are attacking the Merrows and they need the steward's help but he just won't help them. Even he has his own problems as his best friend Xanthus is plagued by the same disease which is plaguing the Merrows.

His grandfather told him that he needs faith and also needs to put his faith in his friends but how can he do that if his friends are so intent of letting Xanthus die and not finding a cure for him? This is all thanks to Tim who has finally found a way to take the attention of off Nick.

I hate Tim. I just do. Nobody has damned him to hell yet. WHY?

Can Nick really do everything on his own without the help of his friends? I doubt it. I really can't believe Tim can treat his brother so badly. He's just so mean.

Brief Review: Again, I am impressed by the author. This book once again makes me dumbstruck and frustrated at the same time. Only a book as good as this is capable of doing so.


Final Rating: 5/5 'Totally Amazing!'












QUOTE:

My message to Nick and I hope he gets it. I hope he dares take that first step, with or without his friends:

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase-------- Martin Luther King, Jr.



Your Reviewer:


2 comments:

  1. I now need to read this really bad! You made it sound so great!Also, a little interesting. (Although I sometimes I dislike cliffhangers, but other time I mostly don't.

    Emily @ Counting in Bookcases

    New Bloglovin follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I found your blog by the GR group, Teen Bloggers! ;) (I'm 15 too! :D)

    I featured this author before on my blog a couple times with this series so I'm glad you love these books!

    Great review! New follower! :)

    - Rachel @ Booktastic Reviews

    ReplyDelete