Sunday, April 14, 2013

Review: The Sword of Sighs by Greg James

The Sword of Sighs (The Age of the Flame #1)Title: The Sword of Sighs
Author: Greg James
Release Date: 15th March 2013
Publisher:-
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads

Quick Review: Sarah Bean lives a quiet life in Okeechobee, Florida until the day she is transported from our world to the fantastic realm of Seythe. She meets a wayfaring wizard called Ossen who saves her from the dreaded black riders, servants of a being known only as the Fallen One. Together, they will have to undertake a treacherous journey to the far-away Fellhorn mountain where Sarah must find the one weapon that can save them from the black riders pursuing them - The Sword of Sighs.

Detailed Review: Like people who judge a book by its cover, I judge a book in my own ways. I judge them by their first sentence, or if it's not sufficient, their first paragraph. 

This book hit my mark just nice. You can judge for yourself if you want. Here's the first paragraph of the book:

The night winds droned low and bitter around the snow-crusted flanks of the lone-standing mountain known as Fellhorn. Its forbidding heights were only slightly smoothed by the ice that had settled over its treacherous, beetling crags. Clouds clung, cancerous, to the bone-white breast of the moon, darkening the storm-wracked landscape below.

Even the description itself made me interested. I felt like an English teacher trying to look for the necessary tools needed to make a book awesome. And in one paragraph I found so many of them I knew it would be the same all the way. 

Turns out I was right. 

This story revolves around Sarah Bean, who holds the Flame inside her, necessary for killing the Fallen One, the Darkness That Was Not Darkness. She has her own Path to take. After being transported to the Wood Beneath the Worlds from her quiet life in Florida, she finds herself imprisoned by Yagga, a witch who lives in the Woods. In there, she finds Gorra who is actually the Woods itself trapped in a doll's body. Together, they fight against Yagga and succeed. Sarah thinks that she can go home now but instead has to face a choice she is unwilling to take. 

She takes her destined Path together with Ossen the Wayfarer and with one of the Sworn, who are trained to be assassins. But what Sarah doesn't know is the real identity of figure swathed in black who always accompany them in silence.

The Sworn is Princess Jedda, the pirncess or Highmount. She was thought to be a traitor-child and was thus sentenced to death. 

Along the way, they stumble across obstacles that seem difficult to overcome but together they faced them until Ossen loses his life fighting one of the Iron Gods and Jedda vanishes after being taken by the Fallen One. Sarah is now alone. But she reaches the Fell horn, which holds A'aron or the Sword of Sighs, the only weapon that can kill the Fallen One. 

And then a giant AHC just decided to show up on the last page. Thanks a lot, Greg. You just ruined a day for me because I was busy wiping tears from my face. I wasn't satisfied, simply wasn't. And you know that a book's awesome if I always end up like this after reading it. I thought that I was going to have a mental breakdown. 

For people who love books without romance, this book is for you.


Brief Review: Interesting and exciting, it was enough to catch my attention all the way! You'll never be able to put the book down. There is a big AHC awaiting you in the end that keeps me wanting more! CANNOT WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL!!!!!!! I am this desperate. (Funny how the books I've reviewed so far are so freaking amazing!)



Final Rating: 5/5 'Totally Amazing'




Your Reviewer:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment